You know you are getting old when your doctors/surgeons are younger than you are! I guess that was really what hit me lately. My husband's kidney surgeon, who operated on him for 5 hours on Monday, is younger than me. He was only graduating from medical school when I preparing to have our second child. Oh well, I guess there are certainly advantages to having a younger doctor, but I won't say that it didn't get to me, even just a little bit. :-)
You also know that you are getting old when most players on your baseball team, which has finally reached the World Series (after a whole lot of years!)(GO PHILLIES!) are more than half of your age! Most of them were not even born when I stood on Broad Street and celebrated the first and only Phillies World series victory 28 years ago with the rest of Philadelphia.
You know you are getting old when you go into a sporting goods store to buy a t-shirt commemorating said Phillies entry into the World Series and the salesman tells you that he was born in 1989, so he has no recollection of the World Series loss in 1993 and his parents weren't even married yet when the Phils won in 1980. yegads!
Even though my birthday was last month, we had a big celebration this past Sunday. It was a wonderful time! We actually rented a place called TNT amusements, that has a gazillion (ok, not a gazillion, but a lot) of video and arcade games. My family and friends got to play to our hearts' content for 2 hours.
My children were amazed at our favorite games like "Centipede," "Ms. PacMan," "Frogger" and "Space Invaders." It was fun feeling like a kid again, even with our primitive graphics. :-)
We went back to the house afterwards for some of mom's homemade cooking and my baking and a really good time was had by all. The nicest thing, though, was actually seeing everyone relaxing and playing and if even for the shortest time, not having a care in the world. :-)
2 comments:
Happy belated Birthday!
How is your husband?
ha! I just turned 34, and I know I'm getting old...I was in the pharmacy the other day, waiting in line, and there was this KID in front of me, and he gave his birthdate to the pharmacist, and it was the year I GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL. HAHAHA. I thought, "That's ridiculous, no one that was only born in 1992 could possibly be old enough to pick up their own prescription." and I started doing the math. Ouch.
Post a Comment