Sunday, May 4, 2008

We have butterflies!

As of this morning, we have three beautiful butterflies! One emerged last night and two more joined him/her this afternoon. There are four more chrysalides, so we're hoping that those butterflies will emerge soon so we can release them all.

The kids put some flowers with sugar water on them and a slice of watermelon in the habitat, which the butterflies are already enjoying.

Kiddo #1 decided to name the three Anthony (Tony), Robert and Thomas (Tom). :-)

The picture doesn't do this Painted Lady butterfly much justice, but it is beautiful. They are in a large mesh habitat, so the pictures come out a bit fuzzier than I'd like.

As much as we take the metamorphosis of a caterpillar into a butterfly for granted, it is absolutely extraordinary; even more so when you witness it first hand and up close. Just one of many everyday miracles that I am so glad I am able to share with my kids!

No comments: