Tuesday, November 12, 2013

TOS Review- At Home in Dogwood Mudhole

Today I am reviewing "At Home in Dogwood Mudhole: Volume 1, Nothing that Eats" by Franklin Sanders.



For the most part, the reviews I have done this year have been materials or curriculum for the kids, but this one was for me!  :-)  What a way to end the review year!  I would definitely recommend this book to any adult or teenager.

At Home in Dogwood Mudhole is a delightful book full of wisdom and humor.  This volume consists of newsletters that Franklin sent to his newsletter subscribers over a 17-year period  and document his family's transition from city dwellers to rural farmers.  It isn't easy, but they come to love their new life and the independence it brings to them. (thus the subtitle of the second volume- "The Best Thing We Ever Did")

When the book begins, Franklin is concerned about Y2K and he and his family buy land in Tennessee.  Even their grown, married children go along and they all begin the journey of becoming more self-sufficient.  As his website says, "it is no Green Acres," but it is evident from reading the book that it is a farm and home filled with much love, hard work and faith.

The subtitle, "Nothing that Eats" came from the pleas of Franklin's wife Susan.  Whenever he and the children would go to a flea market or auction, they would always seem to come back with animals of all kinds- thus, her continual plea.  Some of the animal stories and antics will have you literally laughing out loud.   :-)



Franklin writes in an easy-to-read conversational tone.  You feel like you are sitting around a table with your dad or grandfather.  While he gives much practical information, suggestions and tips about self-sufficiency, he also speaks much about the history of their area, as he and his family are all Civil War reenactors.  At times, I was almost in tears from laughing so hard, and in others, I was touched by Franklin's genuine and humble nature.  I am a history buff and one who strives for a more self-sufficient lifestyle, so needless to say, I truly enjoyed this book.  The second volume, "The Best Thing We Ever Did"  is due out soon and the third is in the works.  I look forward to reading them.

You can purchase your own hardback copy here for $22.95 or a Kindle version for $16.95.  You can read a sample chapter here and I know you will be hooked!


Photobucket

Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to Home to 4 Kiddos by Email and get our posts sent right to your inbox!

No comments: