Abraham's Journey (available for $14.99) is a book about a young boy who is brought back in time through his phone to meet people who have pursued their dreams and met much success.
From their website:
"Abraham's Journey: A Celebration of the American Dream" tells the story of a young boy, who through his faith, imagination and entrepreneurial spirit, sets out to achieve the American dream.
Taking place during the Great Recession, the story begins with Abraham learning that his mother and father have lost their jobs. With Christmas not far away, and his parents unable to buy gifts for him and his sister, Abraham is determined to take matters into his own hands. Although he desperately wants to save Christmas for his family, the reality is, he too, has no money. But dreams can come true...where there's a will, there's a way!
The story transitions with Abraham online texting his friends, searching for odd jobs around the neighborhood, when an old man with a white beard (symbolized by Abraham Lincoln) pops up on his screen. 'Hello, Abraham, I am here to help you.' the old man announces...as he extends his hand to the boy. Serving as his guide, Abraham is transported into a digital world, on a colorful and heartwarming journey...that will thrill and inspire.
Along the way, Abraham is introduced to a variety of successful American icons...preachers, artists, aviators, entrepreneurs, and philanthropists...all helping him to identify his special talent, and the many virtues necessary to help him achieve his American dream.
His journey now complete, the story culminates on Christmas Day with a simple act of giving. Abraham's creativity, hard work and perseverance not only enable him to provide for his family, but through his compassion and generosity, he is also able to touch the lives of others. And that is truly a celebration of the American dream."
What I liked about this book:
I liked the overall message. I think the idea of the American dream has been lost in our society today. I think our children need to have a better idea of those who have gone before them and the hard-work and sacrifice that have made this nation great. This nation was built by those who had vision, and fought against all odds to bring those to fruition. Many of our ancestors came to these shores to achieve their dreams and worked tirelessly to accomplish those goals. Much blood, sweat and tears have gone into making America great. I wonder how much of that is remembered and taught to our children today.....
I think Abraham's meeting of people like Martin Luther King, Jr., Amelia Earhart and Norman Rockwell were great examples of people fighting against the odds, working hard to achieve their dreams, no matter how many people told them they couldn't. It was also heartwarming to see Abraham and his family visit a homeless shelter on Christmas and share some of their material goods with others.
The illustrations were well done and look like a comic book; they were attractive to my children when I read this aloud to them.
What I didn't like:
I was a little perplexed as to the choice of the founder of Facebook as being a good example and role model to children reading this book. He also tells little Abraham that he is adding him to his "social networks." Most younger children (this book is geared to those 7+ years old) would have no idea what this even means. Adding someone to social networks might not be the best example of showing how hard work equals success. I thought the idea of travelling back in time was a good idea, yet the founder of Facebook is still living and to have him being a "student" of Amelia Earhart is a bit perplexing.
Abraham's family has no income. They cannot even afford Christmas gifts for their children, yet their son has an internet-ready, fancy Smart Phone. That seemed a bit unrealistic.
In the description from the website, it says that Abraham's "faith, imagination and entrepreneurial spirit" help him achieve his American dream. Nothing is mentioned about Abraham's faith in God, so perhaps the authors meant faith in himself? I'm not sure. Nowhere in the book is "American dream" defined. This would take some explaining by parents to their children after reading this book.
I was also was a little surprised that although Abraham Lincoln is the "guide" in the book, his name is only referred to once. He is called a "wise old man" the rest of the time. There is no mention of *his* hard work, *his* sacrifice, how he came from being born in a log cabin and was completely academically self-taught to eventually become the President of the United States. These things are mentioned in the "biography" section in the back of the book, which is a wonderful, additional resource, but some of it could have be added into the story as additional "inspiration" for the title character.
Perhaps an immigrant coming to Ellis Island with nothing but the clothes on his/her back and their struggle to give a good life to their future family would have been a suitable example, as well. This would have given us all something to talk about with our children, as most of us can trace our ancestry back to such hard-working and selfless individuals.
2 comments:
Interesting review. I think I would agree with you that the founder of facebook may not exactly be a role model for young people in all things. Also like you, I have much more respect for Abraham Lincoln than just to think of him as a "wise old man." Our son still doesn't have a SMART phone (much to his dismay) so I agree that maybe the out-of-work parents in this story should cut back on fancy electronics! Maybe the books sends the wrong message that no matter what, we all need our electronic toys and smart phones so we can check our facebook status updates! Thanks for your insight. Hope you have a great weekend and coming week!
We had a similar issue. My kids had no idea who several of the people were, and no idea what Mark Zuckerberg or the Gateses have accomplished. Even when I told them, it didn't click - I think because they're still alive and active. As my daughter said, but they're not historical - in other words, not long dead and only in text books. From an 8YO's point of view -- that kind of makes sense to me.
Post a Comment