Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thankful Thursday- March 7

Hearing about the 11 year old boy who died as a result of the beating he received in his school's playground made me all the more grateful that we homeschool.  My only regret is not doing it sooner.  No one can ever care for or protect my children like I can.   Is this the "socialization" that we want for our children?  Seriously.  How many more studies need to be done and how many more children will be lost or traumatized before society realizes that the system just doesn't work.   Even if we ignore the violence, bullying and curricula choices that could be found objectionable, how about a study that just came out?  It showed that SAT reading scores in the U.S. are at the lowest in 40 years-- 34 points lower than in 1972- meaning that U.S. students remain behind their global counterparts and education standards have not improved in spite of increased billions of dollars poured into education by the federal government.   This has been a failing model for half a century.  No one wants to try to make it better.  Like anything, their philosophy is to just throw more money at it and it will be ok.  Not.

 In a brief 45 minute period with 30 other kids in a room, how can any human being (and I myself was the frustrated teacher in that situation for many years) get to know all of those children on a personal level?  How can they know each and every one of their strengths, weaknesses or interests?  It takes weeks just to learn the names.  My last year teaching I had approximately 150 students.  I was always frustrated that I couldn't get to know each and every student *more.*  I did my best and was considered an "exemplary" teacher, but it just isn't possible when you have to cover a certain amount of material no matter what.  The first 10 minutes of class are shot with them all getting in and settled and the last few are for them to get packed up, so what does it give someone?  Perhaps 30 minutes with 30+ students?  No teacher can even *talk* to each and every child individually in that amount of time, let alone give every one of them the attention they need and desire.  It is very, very sad.

What a blessing homeschool is and it is worth every sacrifice.  And there have been enormous sacrifices.  If someone isn't willing to sacrifice for their own child/ren, there isn't much hope for our society.  More and more people are realizing that everyday.






Here is a wonderful learning opportunity for the older boys-- helping their grandfather assemble a new TV stand.  The relationships the children have with each other and their parents and grandparents because of homeschooling are truly priceless.  We could never have that level of closeness, trust and camaraderie if they were gone for 8-10 hours a day.

Every time I hear of the bullying of a child, or in this case, bullying to death, it tears my heart out and I get so angry at the system that has failed so very many in so many ways.  It makes me so very grateful for the education I am able to provide my children on a variety of levels and the love we are able to share with each other all day long.  Let's all hug our kids a few extra times this week. 

17 comments:

Laura said...

Amen! Good post, Lisa. Now I pray that we can continue to homeschool in this country :)

Maria said...

Lisa, I so agree w/ you! There are days when I feel ready to throw in the towel & just send the kids to school. Every single time that happens, I get an email, see a blog post, read a news article, etc. that reaffirms our choice to homeschool. I know I'm not the best teacher out there, but I AM the best teacher for MY children!

Chris said...

Lisa
Could not agree more.
So many feelings abt yor post. The awful, senseless death of the poor boy. Terrible.
The fact that we, as a nation, are raising apathetic individuals whose scores are so low that kids can't compete on a global level. Standards in pub schls are being :raised" ( yeah, on paper only) it;ls all a show...how gret the SDs look....it;s a horror show once inside. I happened to teach in a relatively affluent area...BUT it doesn;t matter...it's all about how the school "looks" and you;re right, it;s not abt getting to know the needs and desires and learning styel of each kid. There was no way I could do that in a 6 1/2 hr period of time each day, with interruptions, pull out programs, lunch, recess, gym/art/music, disruptions within the classroom itself with misbehavior, etc, etc. I don't have any answers...but I'll tell you doesn't Miss Beatle's classrm from Little House look more and more appealing ( and successful) with each passing year?

Gotta run and get my post pub and then get the day moving but wanted to stop by and com. My kids are not feelign well Another round of this...

Love ya

xxoxoxoxo

Britta said...

Lisa - A very poignant post. You're spot on about what's going on with the education system and it's so sad. My husband and I are more grateful everyday that we've chosen to homeschool. We are surrounded by the effects of government schools and it's scary, discouraging, sad, the list goes on.

Homeschooling is a huge sacrifice on so many levels, but well worth the eternal rewards!

Britta said...

Lisa - This might be a repeat comment because I"m not sure if my first went through to you. Just know that what you said is spot on. Our country needs to wake up, but in the meantime my husband and I will gladly sacrifice whatever it takes to homeschool our children and socialize them according to God's plan.

Monique G. said...

Great post! I agree. Sadly I don't think we can fix the schools until we fix the mentality of people. Parents need to be held responsible for teaching their children morals and values. We live in a culture where no one respects each other. It's cool to be mean and make fun of people. Society has become trashy. I am so grateful we are able to home school. It has been a blessing.Thank you for taking the courage to speak out!
God Bless,

Unknown said...

I know nothing about home schooling, its rare in my country. I think we should know better about the school and the teachers where we send our kid to study.

Karen said...

Wonderful post Lisa. That is just so heartbreaking about that sweet boy. Things like that make me so thankful I am able to homeschool too. I don't know wha the answer is for public schools but something has to change. Hugs.

Kay said...

Kudos on a great post! I too am thankful that we homeschool and that situation just adds fuel to my fire. What on earth??? Why are they so blind to the failings of that system??

Rebecca said...

Lisa, there is so much turmoil in the world today. This is sad. My son came home from school twice - once with a scrape on his back from a nail and once with his face scraped up - both because someone had pushed him. Those were careless situations - not ones where ill will was intended - just childish silliness. This poor boy - My thoughts go to Columbine - one of the parents lost his son - and now has other children he refuses to send to public school. I believe we all have to do what is best for our family and my heart goes out to this family. Your post is beautiful. I pray that our ability to homeschool continues. However, Holder's recent comments based on a law suit in one of the Superior Courts against a German Family - seeking asylum in the US to homeschool has stated that it is not a fundamental right. I pray that the homeschool community is strong enough for what appears to be on the horizon.

angiemosteller@celebratingholidays.com said...

It is such a privilege to homeschool. I am living in a country right now where it is frowned upon.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I love this!!! Good for you on getting out of your comfort zone and writing such a powerful and important post!

Aloha Acres said...

Absolutely, Lisa. When is the "world" going to wake up? I struggle daily with "am I doing enough", but the bottom line is that my boys are safe. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Debbie Jones said...

I totally agree with you even though I am a public school teacher and did not homeschool any of my children. In many ways, I wish I had been able to homeschool. The story about the boy dying after being bullied and beaten is so sad. As you know, we have been through bullying here and while things have calmed down for the moment, that fear always lurks in the background. I salute you for your courage and hard work as you homeschool!

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

Although I sent my children to public school, I do not think I would in this day and age. Bullying is an age old problem but it is getting worse.

Thanks for linking up once again and sharing your thoughts and kid's activities.

~Naila Moon

Lisa said...

I had not heard that story. Very sad.

I totally agree with what you've said here!

Jessica G said...

Well said! I couldn't agree more!