Tuesday, February 26, 2013

TOS Review- College Common Sense


This week I was asked to review the Going to College and Paying for it Online Video and Workbook by  College Common Sense.


Developed by a former college financial aid officer, this program is designed to help students and parents to start navigating the financial aid maze early.  Did you know that college scholarships are available to those as young as 6?  I didn't.  :-)

The videos and workbook ($25 for 12 months of access) or DVDs and a workbook ($50 + $5 shipping) help you and your child prepare for and navigate the system.  I definitely learned that it's never to early to start!

The 6 videos, about 20 minutes each, cover the following:

#1- "The Big Picture"
#2- "How Financial Aid Works"
#3- "All About the Free Money"
#4- "The System that Works"
#5- "You in the Process"
#6- "Pull it All Together"

Each video has corresponding workbook pages in pdf format.

Although we haven't begun to go on college tours (our oldest is in 9th grade), we have definitely learned a lot about the process and will revisit it as the kiddos get a bit older.  Both of the older kiddos enjoyed watching the videos and thinking about their future.  It made for some wonderful family-time conversation about different majors, careers choices, college locations, etc.



Lesson plans are available free from the website as well as a newsletter.  I would strongly suggest you sign up for both of these.  They are a wonderful supplement to the program.  Younger children (elementary and middle schoolers) are asked to think about their career interests/goals and even have drawing exercises.  Older students are guided to learn about the FAFSA form and how to apply for a variety of scholarship options.  This alone, will be priceless in a few years when my children will be getting ready to 'conquer' the FAFSA.

Kiddos #3 and 4 especially enjoyed the "Declaration" in week one's lesson plan.  They had to write the following and either explain it in words or drawings.  What a positive, encouraging way to get the children thinking about their life's path!  The Declaration read as follows: "I have what it takes to do whatever I want with my life! I will go after my destiny with excitement and passion. I am happy and determined to fulfill my life goals!"

Denise's website is a wonderful resource, filled with links and information.  This, coupled with the videos and workbook definitely will assist you in navigating the difficult waters of paying for higher education.




Photobucket

No comments: