Friday, January 11, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-up January 11

Ok, I have to admit that it is too cool that I can compose this post while riding on a train!  We are headed home as I type from our adventure in Washington, D.C.  :-)

I hope everyone had a great week.  We certainly did.

Monday was our travel day down.  We were certainly blessed that the hotel had a pool, so that is right where the kiddos found themselves on Monday evening.



On Tuesday, we were off to the National Zoo.  There aren't enough synonyms of amazing for me to adequately describe it.  It is certainly my favorite zoo and was a huge hit with my children.  I wrote all about it and shared more pictures here.



On Wednesday, we visited the Udvar-Hazy center of the National Air and Space Museum.  For those who aren't familiar, it is the second location for the Air & Space museum, since the first location on the mall was literally running out of space for very large aircraft, such as the Concorde, and most impressively, the Space Shuttle Discovery.  There is something surreal about standing under a craft that flew over 150 million miles in space.  You can see more pics and read all about it here.



Thursday found us on the National Mall visiting several of the Smithsonian buildings including the Air and Space Museum, the Natural History Museum and the American History museum.

My children learned about the principles of flight in an hands-on way





They saw dinosaurs, sea creatures and mammals



They got to visit a learning laboratory



and followed the development of transportation in America




Ok, we're still not on the train, as I had to pack up the computer and help get everyone and all of their "stuff" off it in some semblance of order, lol.  :-)

The day ended with them getting me into the pool.  It was fun, especially the part with my 14 year old piggy-backing me!


On Friday, we headed home.  We made sure to get a photo with our driver from the week, who inspired me quite a bit and reminded me of my own roots and the struggles of my grandparents and great-grandparents when they immigrated to this country.  This gentleman, whose wife and children are still overseas, is working for the transportation company while trying to earn another graduate degree.  He has been in this country for 3 years and speaks English better than most native-born citizens.  It is his sixth language.  He was friendly, funny and personable and always had something fun or kind to say to my children.  He hopes to be able to send for his own family this year.  I pray that he does.



I hope you had a great week, as well!  :-)

Linking up today with:  Homeschool Mother's JournalWeekly Wrap-UpNOBHShow-Off FridayLearn and Link and It's a WrapFriendship Friday and Field Trip Friday and Friday Connection.

7 comments:

Natalie Anderson said...

Your trip looks so fun! I have to say my favorite is swimming with your kids. Nothing better than just having fun, relaxing with your babies. ;)

Chris said...

Lisa
You trip looks amazing!
I loooooooove DC. The Smithsonian is just so cool....couldn't you just lose track of time there???? I don't know which of the museums is my fave.
I am sitting in a Starbucks while Kev is at a dance ( too far to go all the way home....) and doing some school work/organizing pics on the comp/writing a blog post...your pics are such fun to take a break with. Thx for sharing.
Love
Chris

Shelly @ Homeschooling With No Regrets said...

What a wonderful, unforgettable week! I can't wait to take my own family there soon! Where did you take the train from? I wonder if that is an option all the way from Indiana???

momto8 said...

DC is fun!!! my 2 college kids are there right now helping their uncle move...

Christie said...

I grew up in the DC area and my love of history and science also grew there because of our wonderful museums and monuments. So glad to see you and your children sharing in our national treasures!

Debbie Jones said...

I love D.C.! It is so full of history and iinteresting places and things! We are planning to take our youngest son there for his high school graduation trip. What a wonderful learning experience for your children. Thanks for sharing!

Aloha Acres said...

Awesome! Just ... AWESOME!